Within the Town of Tavistock
The Town Hall & Bedford Square
at the western end of the main street
Picture of the Town Hall
The Parish Church
mainly 15th century,
close to Bedford Square
Court Gate, Bedford Square
open 11:00 - 15:00
on Wednesdays, Fridays & Saturdays
on Easter Saturday to the end of October
and also on Tuesdays & Thursdays
in June, July & August.
Ruins of the Benedictine Abbey
opposite Bedford Square
and nearby in Plymout Road
Picture of some of the Abbey Ruins
Tavistock Pannier Market
Tuesday to Saturday incl.
and some Sundays),
in its own fine building
behind the Town Hall
close to the Abbey Ruins,
between the River Tavy
and the historic Tavistock-to-Morwellham canal.
Meadowlands Indoor Swimming Pool in the Meadowlands Park
The Wharf Arts Centre & Theatre
Main Tel: 01-822-617-774
Box Office Tel: 01-822-611-166
a few minutes from Bedford Square
along the Plymouth Road
The Statue of
Sir Francis Drake
Plymouth Road, Tavistock,
near the end of Meadowlands Park
From Meadowlands Park
you can follow the wooded walk
beside the canal to the area of
where Sir Francis Drake was born,
and to "Drake's Walk".
Many Specialist Shops
in the main street & quaint side streets,
to suit & interest all visitors.
12th century, spectacularly situated on the tor close to Brentor Village,
north of Tavistock
south of Tavistock, near Yelverton,
which Sir Francis Drake
and, later, Sir Richard Grenville
had as their homes.
close to Drewsteignton village:
the spectacular last castle built in Britain
Cotehele House and Gardens
near the town of Gunnislake,
a short distance into Cornwall
and its rocky tors,
many of which are easy to reach from road-site car-parks.
north of Tavistock,
set up in about AD890 by King Alfred as a defence against the Vikings & Cornish:
the village contains St Petrock's Church, Lydford Castle & Lydford Gorge (National Trust).
formerly the industrial
riverside-port for the Town:
15 minutes drive westward from Tavistock
historic market town of West Devon
and called "The Gateway to Cornwall"
the location of the famous prison,
built to hold French prisoners
captured during Britain's
1793-1815 war against Napoleon
and American prisoners of Britain's
1812 war against the USA,
and well known from Conan Doyle's
"The Hound of the Baskervilles"